A lawn sweeper can help reduce the stress and time needed to maintain your landscaping. You don’t have to rake up the grass clippings or leaves, and you won’t damage your grass.
If you need clarification on whether a lawn sweeper is a right choice, we put together this guide that reviews the top five best lawn sweepers. It also explains why you need one, what features to look for, and answers frequently asked questions.
So keep reading and get ready to have the best yard on the block!
Table of Contents
The Best Lawn Sweepers
Earthwise Leaf And Grass Push Lawn Sweeper
The Earthwise Lawn Sweeper is a great way to clean leaves and grass clippings from your lawn, patios, and walkways. It has adjustable height control so you can set the brushes at the perfect depth to clear away all the debris.
One downside of this lawn sweeper is that the plastic wheels move slower than rubber tires. Additionally, it takes multiple passes to clear all the debris from the lawn. It would be best if you also walked at a steady pace to be effective; going too slow or fast decreases the effectiveness of the sweeper.
- A broad brush bar sweeps leaves and grass clippings off the lawn for a quick clean up
- Handy collection bag corrals yard debris for easy transport to waste bin or compost pile
- Folds up for easy storage in shed or garage
- The height of the brush bar is adjustable for better pickup action on different terrain
- Sturdy construction yet lightweight and easy to maneuver
- Price is affordable for most budgets
- Several passes are needed across the lawn for the complete pickup of leaves
- Brushes won’t pick up wet leaves, pinecones, acorns, or rocks
- Handlebar height is too short for taller people
The Earthwise 21-Inch Leaf & Grass Push Lawn Sweeper is a good option for people with smaller lawns and artificial grass surfaces. It is effective for picking up leaves and grass. Plus, it is affordable.
Brinly Tow Behind Lawn Sweeper
The Brinly Lawn Sweeper is a tool you can use to clear leaves, grass clippings, and pine needles quickly. It attaches to your yard tractor, so it’s easy to move around. You can use the pull rope to empty the bin without getting off your tractor.
The downside to this product is that it can be frustrating to put together. The sweeper also needs to fit into tight areas better. Plus, the collection bin fills up quickly if your lawn has a lot of leaves. It means you’ll have to make a lot of stops to empty it.
- Comprehensive sweeping action requires fewer passes over the lawn, so chores get done faster
- Adjustable height of brushes allows for better pickup on different terrain
- The collection bag offers a convenient pull rope to empty debris without getting off the tractor
- Quality construction should hold up to years of regular use
- Does a good job also picking up pine needles and wet leaves
- Folds for upright storage that saves space in your garage or shed
- Must have a lawn tractor to tow the sweeper
- The price is steep for a one-purpose yard tool
- Assembly is time-consuming and tedious
The Brinly Tow-Behind Lawn Sweeper is an excellent choice for homeowners with large yards with different terrains. This model is sturdy and has a large collection bin. It’s also easy to tow behind a lawn tractor.
Agri-Fab Lawn Sweeper
The Agri-Fab Lawn Sweeper is unique because it has an offset adjustment so you can mow and sweep your lawn simultaneously. It saves more time. Another cool feature is pulling the solid dump lever directly from your tractor to empty the 25-cubic-foot hopper without any trouble. The adjustable brush height and nearly four-foot-wide sweeping action are also impressive.
The downside to this sweeper is that it is difficult to empty the bin when it is complete. The low clearance of framing can cause the sweeper to catch on to taller objects before the wheels can roll over them.
- Broad sweeping base so you can cover more lawn in fewer passes
- An offset position is an option when you want to mow and sweep at the same time
- Mesh material at the back of the hopper allows for airflow, so more leaves collect in the bag
- Adjustable sweeper height allows customization to fit your terrain
- Hopper has an easy-to-reach pull bar so you can empty the bin from the tractor
- Assembles faster than other similar products and compacts down for storage
- Framing protrudes in front of wheels, which can cause clearance issues
- The extensive collection bin empties better when half full, which defeats the purpose
- Wheels can jam up in heavy leaf litter
The Agri-Fab Lawn Sweeper is a top choice because it collects more than other tow-behind sweepers. With its universal hitch, this model is perfect for homeowners with a large properties and uses a lawn tractor to mow the grass.
The Karcher Cleaner is the sweeper to quickly reach for when you need to clear small pieces of debris from your driveway, garage floor, sidewalks, patios, and pathways. This model does not require any power; you have to push it. The two circular sweeping brushes will clean and collect dirt and debris into the handy collection bin. When the job is over, pop off the container and dump the contents into the trash.
On the downside, this sweeper is meant for something other than leaf or grass cleanup on lawns. The unit will also clog if you try to run it over twigs or large leaves.
- Wide circular brushes are offset, which makes it a breeze to clean edges and corners
- Durable construction with a no-fuss, easy-to-empty and replace collection bin
- An affordable way to clean an area up to five times faster than sweeping with a broom
- Environmentally-friendly. Requires no gas, electricity, or battery
- Handle height is adjustable, so both tall and short people can use it comfortably
- Made for flat surfaces and not for use over grass
- The unit can jam with heavy leaf litter or big sticks
The Karcher Cleaner is one of my top picks because it does a great job picking up grass clippings and other small pieces of yard debris. This model may be the best push lawn sweeper for homeowners with more patio or cement work than the yard and who want to keep dirt and rubbish under control.
Ohio Steel Pro Sweeper
The Ohio Steel Pro Sweeper collects leaf litter and grass clippings using a 42-inch-wide sweeper base that attaches to all brands of lawn tractors.
The downside to using a cloth collection bag is that it can only tear if you’re careful. You need to avoid putting it near any rough objects or on the pavement. If there are a lot of leaves, you might need to make more than one pass to get them all.
- Decisive sweeping action picks up even heavier yard debris like nuts and pinecones
- Variable hitch adjustment allows for a perfect fit on all types of lawn tractors
- Adjustable sweeper height will enable you to custom-set it for your terrain
- Assembles quickly with fewer parts and better instructions so you can get to work fast
- The extra flap on the hopper helps keep leaves from blowing out
- The collection bag can rip if you are not careful where you pull the unit
- Not made to be backed up, which can make emptying the bin difficult
The Ohio Steel Pro Sweeper is perfect for homeowners with many grass and trees on their property. This machine can clean up pinecones and nuts that fall from the trees.
Do You Need A Lawn Sweeper?
No one wants a messy yard, but who has the time to rake constantly? A lawn sweeper is an excellent tool for quickly and easily keeping your yard nice and tidy. Many people find this tool invaluable for the following:
- Fast removal of large quantities of leaves
- Getting hard-to-rake grass clippings off the lawn
- Clearing off walkways and driveways
- Removing yard debris without damaging the grass
- Collects leaves easier than using a leaf blower
A lawn sweeper is a good tool but it doesn’t replace a rake. There are some areas that the sweeper can’t reach, like along the edge of buildings or planters.
Things To Consider
You need to think about a few things before deciding on the best lawn sweeper for your needs.
There are two kinds of a lawn sweepers. One is attached to a tractor and the other one you push. You should pick the one best for your yard size and how much debris you need to collect.
Tow-behind lawn sweepers are better for more extensive properties with more uneven terrain. Towable sweepers are more expensive than manual models, but they are easier to use because you can hook them up to a tractor.
Push-behind lawn sweepers are an excellent choice for small, flat yards. They do not require any power, which makes them quiet to operate and better for the environment.
Size Of Sweeper Base And Collection Bin
If you have a big yard, you’ll want a broad lawn sweeper that can pick up more leaves with each pass.
Be aware of the towable or manual-push lawn sweeper brush. Some may appear broad, but upon closer inspection, you’ll see that the meeting only spans part of the area. It leaves room for fallen leaves to escape and not get picked up. To avoid this issue, check the dimensions before making a decision.
Effectiveness Of Pickup
Many lawn sweepers can pick up grass clippings and leaves. However, if you have a lot of pine straws, nuts, or twigs on your lawn, you might need a different model.
Review reviews and find out what kind of materials each lawn sweeper can lift and collect. Some models can pick up larger twigs, pinecones, or wet leaves and grass, while others are better at picking up smaller items.
Brush Height Adjustability
The higher the height adjustability on a lawn sweeper, the better it will be at cleaning your lawn and patio areas.
The bristles on a sweeper need to reach down into the grass blades to clean them. The bristles also need to hit the surface of cement or patio blocks to clean away debris.
If you have various terrain levels on your property, you might need more than two or three height settings.
Ease Of Use
Lawn sweepers work by rotating the brushes with the wheel axles. This design means you must pull the sweeper with your tractor easily without the wheels skipping over low areas or getting jammed up with leaves.
Manual models require a bit of muscle to move the wheels across dense grass. You will also need to keep the sweeper moving fast enough to pick up and deposit the leaves in the collection bag.
Some towable sweepers need help to push in reverse. If you return with the tractor, the sweeper might jackknife or get damaged. Try out different models to see how easy they are to use.
Nobody wants another bulky piece of equipment to occupy their garage or shed. Look for models that can be collapsed or folded into a smaller profile without needing tools. Units that fold up or you can hang from hooks save space when storing the sweeper.
Frequently Asked Questions About Best Lawn Sweeper
Is a push lawn sweeper worth it?
A lawn sweeper is a good choice if you have a big yard and don’t like doing yard cleanup tasks. It can save you hours of time (and sore muscles). Lawn sweepers can pick up leaves, pine needles, pine cones, acorns, and twigs.
Does a lawn sweeper work better than a bagger?
But which one is better – a lawn sweeper or a bagger? A bagger is impressive at collecting grass clippings, but a lawn sweeper can do more. A lawn sweeper can sweep up debris and trash from your yard. It is the best option for people who have to maintain large properties.
Do you use a lawn sweeper before or after mowing?
Lawn sweepers work by using brushes underneath to pick up any lawn debris. The debris is then flipped into a hopper. Lawn sweepers work the same way as vacuum cleaners, except you must manually turn the brushes. You can use a lawn sweeper to clean your yard after you mow it or to clean any fallen leaves or debris.
Does Stihl make a lawn sweeper?
The new STIHL sweepers can absorb different types of dirt quickly. They can do this six times faster than a brush. You can also adjust how they work depending on the surface.
Will a lawn sweeper pick up grass?
A lawn sweeper is a piece of lawn care equipment you can push or pull across your lawn. It will pick up leaves, twigs, grass clippings, and other ground debris. It is a fast and easy way to clean up your yard. You don’t have to spend much time raking, and it will require less energy from you.
When should you use a lawn sweeper?
Using a lawn sweeper to clean your leaves once they fall is best. It is because it is much easier to do when the leaves are dry. A lawn sweeper can also help clean driveways and sidewalks after a light snow.